PAR is a Cross-Platform Packaging and Deployment tool, dubbed as a cross between Java's JAR and Perl2EXE/PerlApp. It was developed by Audrey Tang. Currently, it is maintained via an active mailing list [firstname.lastname@example.org] with help from numerous Users and contributors.
Update: The PAR distribution was split into two distributions with release 0.970: PAR and PAR-Packer. PAR-Packer contains all development tools such as pp, parl, etc. and requires a C compiler to install. PAR itself is now pure-Perl and can be installed even without a C development environment.
Installation note: If you are having problems installing PAR::Packer (getting an error message about something being "only avaliable with the XS version"), a temporary workaround is to downgrade your Compress::Zlib to 1.42.
- PAR offers a wide set of Features.
- Current version of PAR: 1.002, released on approximately 2010-07-25 Download | ChangeLog | Requirements | CPAN page
- Current version of PAR-Packer: 1.006, released on approximately 2010-06-26 Download | ChangeLog | Requirements | CPAN page
- Repository - Accessible with SVK, Subversion, WebDAV, or any HTTP clients | Instructions for getting the development version
- CPAN Request Tracker: Bug and feature request queue for PAR. Get involved!
Note: Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a C compiler on Windows to install PAR – just follow the "Download" link, extract it to some temporary directory, and install it like any other perl module by following README's instructions. An incomplete compatibility list between PAR binary releases and Win32 Perl versions can be found here.
- Users and contributors - please add yourself here!
- FAQ - frequently answered questions
- PAR Tutorial - an essential read (on cpan)
- Mailing List (archive) - where the development happens
- Bug Reporting - also for wishlist items
Helpful Links Edit
- Do you have a success story to share?
- Have an idea for a New Feature?
- See what's next: Development in progress
- Want to discuss PAR? We're trying to establish the #par channel on the irc.perl.org IRC network.
Related Works Edit
- PAR::Packer - For packaging applications. Includes pp, parl, par.pl, etc.
- Module::ScanDeps - Recursively scan Perl code for dependencies
- PAR::Dist - Create and manipulate PAR module distributions
- PAR::Dist::FromCPAN - Create PAR distributions from CPAN modules
- PAR::Dist::FromPPD - Create PAR distributions from PPM packages for ActivePerl
- PAR::Dist::InstallPPD - Install PPM packages without PPM
- PAR::Repository - Create and modify PAR repositories with modules and applications for your webserver or local file system
- PAR::Repository::Client - Access PAR repositories on your local filesystem or via HTTP(S) on remote servers
- PAR::WebStart - Perl implementation of Java's WebStart
- Apache::PAR - Perl extension for including Perl ARchive files in a mod_perl (1.x or 2.x) environment
- MasonX::Resolver::PAR - Get mason components from a PAR file
- Wx::Perl::Packager - Utility module that helps packaging Wx apps
- Archive::Unzip::Burst - A module which is used to extract data from pp-created executables if it was installed by the packager. It speeds up extraction a lot compared to Archive::Zip, but it's not available on all platforms so far.
- File::ShareDir::PAR - A PAR enabled version of File::ShareDir
The Perl Wiki in WikiaEdit
- Wikia:c:Perl – The Perl Wiki